Wednesday 12 November 2008

Giddy Goat The Musical!!


Well, not exactly a musical, but a 'zany, action-packed, musical adventure!'

A few months ago I got a call from Polly Ives from Music in the Round, to say that the composer, Paul Rissman, had written a score based on Giddy Goat and they were performing it in Sheffield, for children, as a kind of musical storytelling. Unfortunately I was out doing a storytelling myself that day, so I missed it, but they were kind enough to invite me to a rehearsal. I was curious about how it would work.

Polly read the story aloud, while a small group of musicians, Ensemble 360, played the score. It worked really well and I was blown away by Paul's music: a truly beautiful composition. The piece lasts 45 minutes, obviously much longer than it takes to read Giddy Goat, but the musicians have integrated various games and interactive elements for the children, making it even more fun!


I was sad to miss the actual performance, but they sent me this photo. It got a great review in the Sheffield Telegraph: ‘One of the best children’s entertainments to come along in a long time’.

Turn's out they are touring it now, so I have provided them with my illustrations from the book, which will be projected as the story unfolds. When I posted him the DVD of Giddy Goat images, Paul Rissman sent me back a beautiful bouquet of flowers! Thank you Paul, that was a really sweet thought and you'll be pleased to know that the sunflowers are still going strong.

It's in Sheffield again on December 7th at the Octagon on Western Bank. The music begins at 3pm but I'm doing a workshop for kids (and any keen grown-ups!) beforehand, at 2pm. I can't wait to see it.

It's aimed at kids aged 2-7yrs, but frankly I think you can enjoy it at any age. Tickets are £3 for kids (& conc) £10 for adults, but you get free mince pies and orange juice, my illustration workshop and, if you bring along your copies of Giddy Goat and Giddy the Great, I'll sign them and draw you a little picture! Book by calling 0114 249 6000.

Other performances booked so far are:

Oakham School Chapel - 11th Nov
Wiltshire Music Centre, Bradford On Avon - 15th Nov
The Stables, Milton Keynes - 10th Feb
Bridge House Theatre, Warwick - 15th Feb
Harlow Playhouse - 4th April
The Wigmore Hall, London - 23rd May
The Circle, Telford - 4th June

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your style!
The characters in Giddy Goat are incredibly cute - and great color. I'm going to bookmark your page, so I can come back and see what else you're up to!

Keep up the great (illustrating) work!

Isaac Marzioli

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great. The Dragon's Dinner looks brilliant.

Love Paul x