Wednesday 16 December 2009

Doggy Disaster!!!


Remember my little dog cartoon for the Stars on Canvas project? Well, it turns out I do, after all, have the option to colour the canvas myself. I don't own any acrylics, but thought the textured surface might work with pastels, so I gave it a go.

Things quickly got very messy, so I decided to fix what I'd done so far and gave it a good old spray. BUT...

...it turns out that permanent marker pen is not so permanent after all, and it especially doesn't like fixative, which acts as a solvent. The black bled copiously into the picture before my eyes.

Aaaarghhhhhhh!!!!!!

In a panic I ran to the sink and bunged the whole thing under the tap, which of course didn't touch the black (now quite happy to be water-resistant, thank you very much) but instead washed off a good proportion of the pastel. Grrrrrrrrr...

If it was just the image, I might just be able to do something to make a feature of the effect, maybe, but the signature (important for the auction) is beyond redemption.

So, now I'd better buy a new canvas to replace the foul and useless mess I've created, and start afresh.

5 comments:

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

The canvas is still good, Just gesso over it and it will be good as new.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks, but there's a slight problem: because I am not a painter, I don't have gesso, so might as well buy a new canvas as buy gesso!

I considered getting some white emulsion out of the cellar, but I suspect the pen would come through.

Yasmin said...

Hi Lynne,I adore the two characters.. the donkey is very beautiful.. I adore their paws trying to hide the face.. and the bass dog is also very funny... ahh!.. accidents with almost permanent pens... that also happened already me... of the such a big rageeeee.

xoxo
yasmin

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

Although I realize you probably have your new canvas - I have one more suggestion for re-using the first one. You could recover it with paper, and if you use toothy paper it would take the pastels. I often cover canvases with different papers to create layers of texture and then paint on that.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Interesting thought which I might try if my own new cunning plan backfires... watch this space!