Monday 21 December 2009

From the Ashes...


Remember last week's little disaster with the mini canvas?

I was going to buy a new one, when I was struck by a lateral thought: if I couldn't remove the black pen bleeds, but why not colour the whole thing black and then create an image by removing the black with bleach?


Worth a go: nothing lost, since it was a write-off anyway. I began scribbling...


Except, it turns out the pen is totally impervious to even neat bleach!!! I tried lighter fuel, not at all sure what I would do with it if it worked. I needn't have worried: no impact at all (so, what's so special about bloomin' fixative?).

Then I had another brainwave: oil pastels! I did some tests and they retain their brilliance on black, in fact it sets them off nicely.


I thumbed through sketchbooks, found the little cow sketch above as inspiration, and went for it. I was quite limited for colours, as only one brand was soft enough to work, but in the end I'm really pleased (phew!):

One snag though - how to do the signature? I thought I might be able to scratch back through the oil pastel, but that didn't show up. In the end I found some paper in a similar green and signed that.

I tore the paper for a softer edge, scraped back a patch of pastel underneath, so I could get glue to work, then disguised the edges with more oil pastel.


It's not perfect, but as good as it gets in the circumstances.

14 comments:

Phil Toodle said...

I really like this, it has a lovely warm feel to it, and the cow is really fun.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Philip!

Jess said...

Brilliant! I was going to suggest sanding the surface lightly then doing a couple of coats of acrylic but you've cracked it already! :)x

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

This turned out great. Good save.

Anonymous said...

Good idea! :D
I think you should buy some canvas and acrylic paints and enjoy the fun of painting!

Hugs,
Tati

Balaji Venugopal said...

Seems to have been a fun project...with an excellent result.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Nah! that paper on the signature is not noticeable at all! You came up with an adorable and fun pic for sure <3

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks folks! I'm rather relieved that I've sorted it out to be honest.

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh, excellent save! You are a genius, and the result is fantastic. Perfect for a child's room! I cannot tell at all that the signature is on paper. Well done, well done! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your beautiful illustrations and wonderful blog.

Have a very merry Christmas!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Merry Christmas to you too, and to everyone out there!

M J Muir said...

This little cow is absolutely brilliant and delightful. Thanks for explaining the creative process. Such great stuff!

Christina Silverio said...

I think this turned out absolutely lovely! Wonderful save, and I love the way the colors pop on that black. I used to love working in pastels on black backgrounds; you get such dramatic looks to the piece.
And as a side note, my little one and I stumbled quite by accident upon 'Class Two at the Zoo' at the library; I recognized your style instantly. We loved it, and laughed over your amazing artwork together; too cute!

Lynne the Pencil said...

So glad you like my little cow - let's hope someone at the charity sale likes it too...

How lovely that you recognised me in Class Two Christina. I always enjoy the evil characters like the anaconda the best!

Catilustre said...

your style is so alive and fresh! love it!