Friday 9 December 2011

Studio Visit with Lydia Monks


Thursday morning was my last bit of university teaching before Christmas, so while I was in town, I thought I would drop in on my good friend, fellow picture-book-person Lydia MonksI'm sure you all know her gorgeous work: she both creates her own award-winning books and also illustrates the work of other authors, including Julia Donaldson


We have been friends for years, but Lydia has very recently moved into a snazzy, new studio-space that I had not yet seen, so I was of course dead curious for a peek. I left John doing my accounts, leapt on the trusty no. 22 bus and did my couple of hours at Sheffield Hallam, then walked down the road to Lydia's new place. Gorgeous isn't it? She has tons of space and a huge window with a great view out over Sheffield:


But, can you guess who bunked off his duties and arranged with Lydia to meet me there? Honestly, I think an official, warning is imminent. Or maybe a pay cut... 

After our tour-of-inspection, the three of us went out for lunch and a chin-wag. Lovely. We even treated ourselves to cake. 




And then, sadly, we had to wave Lydia goodbye, hop back on the 22 bus home and get back to work (yes John, that's means you!!).