Wednesday 9 October 2013

A New Book on Drawing Process


This week, while I am off doing my various Book Week events, my work so far on Jungle Grumble is strutting its stuff at the International Book Fair in Frankfurt. It's slightly scary stuff: the UK is simply not a large enough market to make a picture book financially viable on its own. Which means my publisher has to sign up some foreign co-editions, or it might not happen. Which is what the book fairs are all about.


Though the fair only opens today, I had to post the work to them by Sept 27th, so they had time to make a mock-up book from my illustrations. In the meantime, I have to wait and see what happens, before I can carry on. 


As always, there has been plenty to do. One job which has been waiting patiently on my table for some considerable time, involves this pile of sketchbooks, all bookmarked and waiting to be scanned for a new book:


14 of my sketchbook drawings and paintings are being included in a book called Drawing What You See: Real World Techniques for Observational Drawing

To go alongside the images, I was asked to write an analysis of each, talking about how and why I approached them as I did, giving a detailed breakdown of all the materials used. The writing part was done weeks ago: it was a handy thing to get on with at the laptop, while I was stranded with my foot in the air, immediately after my op.



Last week I laboriously scanned all the sketches at high resolution, so they were suitable for printing. This is one which will be in the book: 5 of the 14 are my train portraits. It was a b
it of a boring job and took ages, but I am really looking forward to seeing how the sketches will look in the layouts. 

The book will be published in October of next year, around the same time as Swap!, but I will keep you posted of course.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with Jungle Grumble, looks fab so far.

I look forward to seeing your work in the new book next year.

Hope you are recovering well.

Sunny K. Lee said...

Lovely drawings :) So alive :)

theartofpuro said...

Great drawing:)