Monday 18 August 2014

Usk Symposium Workshop: Creating my Handouts


I don't know about you, but when I am bombarded with new ideas and things to remember, I tend to boggle-over (technical term). If past years are anything to go by, the Urban Sketchers symposium in Paraty will be amazingly stimulating for all concerned, but for those taking all the workshops and going to all the lectures and demos, there's going to be a lot for the head to hold.


So, it's good practice for instructors to create a handout to go with their workshops. It makes things easier to take in on the day (especially for all those for whom English is a 2nd language), but it's also really handy for taking home as a record, to try again later.

Last year I printed them myself at home, but it took forever and cost a fortune in ink and special thick paper (so I could print images on both sides without it showing through). So this year I thought I would pay to have them properly printed. Of course, it still took me ages to design them: I am too much of a perfectionist and wanted them to be a lovely keepsake as well as an instructional leaflet.

Each hand-out goes through the three exercises we are going to do in detail, with examples of my sketches, to demonstrate what I'm talking about. I waited until after my dry-run to create my handouts, so I could tweak things if necessary but, in the end, I didn't change much at all.


They came back from the printers a couple of days ago and they have done a grand job. They look great! They also weigh quite a lot, because there are 50 copies, each one consisting of 2 folded A4 sheets. But I (as usual) had tons to say and show, so wanted to give myself 8 sides to do it. At least I won't be bringing them back, which means the weight can be replaced by all the lovely, freebie sketchbooks we always get from our sponsors (yippee).

This year we are getting a slinky concertina book from Loloran, which looks similar to the one I used in Manchester recently:


...and a Strathmore book, like the one we got last year, which I LOVE:


I have really enjoyed the tinted paper, which alters the way you approach things. 

We are getting all sorts of other bits too. It's really fun - like being a kid again, with a lucky-dip! I notice Moleskin is a sponsor, so cross-fingers we'll be getting a Moleskin watercolour book... 

A big thank you to all the sponsors :-)

18 comments:

Nudge said...

I love the colour hand-outs!

I will not be able to attend your symposium in Brazil (sadly) but is it possible to get my hands on a copy of the colour hand-outs?

Rena said...

What about an online class for those of us scattered around the world?

Lynne the Pencil said...

I don't suppose I will have many hand-outs left over - I didn't do a large print-run, just a few more than I thought I needed. I could pay to print more, if people were prepared to buy them..?

Rena - you are not the first person to ask about that. It's something I have no experience of, but is interesting. Have you taken an online workshop at all? I'm curious about how it works.

Anonymous said...

Would buy a print out! Online courses can work well if well executed I have taken one on www.ruzuku.com. The platform allow for videos, pictures, downloads, posting of student work and comments. Pretty good really!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks - I'll have a look at the site. It's something I might well be interested in getting into, as I love teaching and demonstrating. I just need to get my head round how it all works, how I set up the platform, how people sign up, what to charge etc.

MP Graphics said...

Have had the same thought about getting a printout for myself. But doing online too would be great - Please look into it. I would love to get to the Symposium but can't afford it.

Unknown said...

eenucl oneHi Lynne....I'd be happy to pay for your hand-outs...and online courses can work really well. I have just done an online course of which Andrea Joseph was one of 6 teachers.
I hope you think about it!....and have a great time in Paraty!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

I'd buy a copy !

Jim Bumgarner said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne,
Are you going to post your symposium booklet online for us non-symposium-ers (?!) to be able to download? As Marc Taro Holmes does??
http://citizensketcher.wordpress.com/downloads/
pretty cool idea :) Then we can join in at home, too :)

Mermaid33 said...

Yes I would buy one too , saw Ethna s post on FB

Lynne the Pencil said...

Okay, I have had enough positive feedback from various sources, so I will definitely do another print-run when I get back from Brazil.

If you would like a copy, can you send me an email at contact@lynnechapman.co.uk and we'll sort out the details that way?

Cheers :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would definitely buy a copy! How much to send to the US?

Lynne the Pencil said...

I am creating a list of people who are interested, so I know how many I need to print: could you email me directly with a postal address (see above)?

I have to leave to work in Spain for a fortnight from this weekend, so it's all a bit crazy, so soon after Brazil, but I am going to sort everything when I get back.

I will research postage with a trip to the post office and let everyone know.

Sorry to keep you waiting!

doppioslash said...

Hi Lynne,

I know I'm late to the party, but are these handouts available anywhere in print or online?

Cheers :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Where are you based D?

doppioslash said...

Liverpool, UK

Lynne the Pencil said...

I just had a look and I do have one copy left over. I was keeping it for reference, but I'm happy to sell it to you. Can you email me direct and we'll sort out the details?