Friday 5 September 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away!


Hurrah! Whoopee! Yee-hah! I have finally finished the scans (see Working On The Scans), the window blinds in the studio are pulled up for the first time in days, and does the sun stream in? Of course not. Because it is raining fit for Noah.


It is drumming so hard on the roof and the velux window just above my head that I can barely hear my music. And the forecast is for it to keep at it all day. Which is a bit depressing, but is particularly annoying today, since I have to walk to the post office at some point, to post the DVD of reworked scans and the endpaper artwork (see Tracing up the Cover of Dragon's Dinner) off to Hodder.

Maddy the cat has the right idea for a day like today. She is currently curled up on top of my monitor (I still have an old-fashioned one, not a flat-screen, which is massive as an old-style TV) warming herself nicely by blocking the cooling vents, which probably means that if I don't turf her off soon, the computer will start to smoke...

The image above is from A Lark in the Ark by the way, which seemed irresistibly apt. It's a very silly story written by Peter Bently and was a joy to illustrate. The animals get bored, so decide to play Hide and Seek in the ark. They hide in Noah and Mrs Noah's bedroom (where they are not allowed) and the book has flaps for you to find them all. But what's particularly funny is that they have all dressed up in Noah and his wife's clothing and Peter has rhymed the animals and outfits - bears in flares, wombats in combats, llamas in pyjamas etc.

A great idea, you might think, but one that would probably run dry after 4 or 5 animals. But Peter came up with 16 different ones for me to illustrate, and all of them squeezed into cupboards, or behind furniture, which was sometimes a challenge to fit in, as of course they always had to be drawn in pairs.

A little quiz question for you now: those who know my work, might recall that I have drawn 'bats in hats' once before. Remember which book? I'll leave you to think about that one, and give you the answer later.

If you want to hear how I went out sketching old boats to get reference for A Lark in the Ark, see highlights from my sketchbook, and find out who I based Noah on, see A Real Lark in the Ark in The Picture Gallery.

Right, where's that brolly..?

8 comments:

granny grimble said...

I love this book and the comical drawings of animals in silly costumes. The small photo of you looks like you are holding an large snake. I can't find it elsewhere, nor can I enlarge it to have a good look! I have always wanted to hold a snake, but never had the chance. It's on my wish list!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Glad you like Lark in the Ark.

The photo is indeed me & a snake. It is a link through to the other blog. It might not have worked when you clicked before, because I have been doing a lot of maintenance this afternoon. Sorry about that, try it again now.

Babs (Beetle) said...

Those snakes are very heavy AND strong! I had one round my neck once and felt the power as it was slowly moving.

Now you've started something... bats in hats, monkeys in....?

Lynne the Pencil said...

Yes, you're right - I had forgotten the sensation of the powerful muscles moving, until you reminded me. Quite eerie.

Peter didn't manage a rhyme for monkeys, but he did do 'apes in capes'!

Croom said...

Ha ha what a fun blog again Lynne. I love your illustrations so much.

I have also held a large snake round my neck and was surprised how dry it was, I had expected it to be all wet and slimy, and yes they are very heavy and strong, you can just imagine how easily they could tighten their grip around your neck ah?

I am afraid I do not know the book with ‘bats in hats’, will have to wait for your answer.

Tinax

Lynne the Pencil said...

Apparently lots of people think they are slimy, but you're right, they are dry.

Quite a nice texture really, sort of firm, but superficially squidgy, if that makes sense!

By the way, if anyone is confused about all this snake talk, take a look at the Picture Gallery blog (snake picture link, top right).

Anonymous said...

Your work is absolutely fab. Always knew you would be a star!

What a great job you have doing something you love and getting paid for it.

love Deborah x

Lynne the Pencil said...

The only drawback to doing something you love as your job, is that it can't help but become 'work', so it is different. That is why I do my sketchbook work (see Picture Gallery) and don't actually use the sketches in my illustration work.