Monday 8 October 2012

Illustrating a Children's Book: Pastel Artwork


I had a couple of days out of the studio last week: Monday giving a talk at the university and Friday doing storytellings in a couple of schools in Leeds, for Children's Book Week. Apart from that, I have been head-down in the studio, trying to finish off my Swap! artwork


I was getting on quite well a few weeks back and had just made a start on the piece above, when suddenly preparations for the Frankfurt Book Fair interrupted proceedings. I had to stop and do some digital work on the first batch of scans, then design the cover,  but once all that was out of the way, I started getting back down to things again. This illustration is Lucy's first foray into Sparky's world: playing in the park with all the other dogs: 


Finishing this spread seemed to take forever: sometimes I lose momentum if I stop half way and it takes a while to get things up to speed again. Anyway, I finally got it done by Wednesday afternoon:  


The next one I tackled was Sparky's first go at being Lucy:




I'll be honest: I chickened out at the start of doing the Swap! artwork and pastelled all the easier bits first. Unfortunately, that means I have some really tricky, complicated pieces to finish off with. This kind of heavily detailed illustration is really not what pastels were designed for, but with patience I'll get through it.  I find listening to stories while I work is very calming.

I made a good start on the classroom spread on Thursday, so I'm hoping another day might be enough.



10 comments:

Unknown said...

A world of life color makes. It really brings out the detail of art work hanging behind your teacher.

fados do lar said...

Your work is really amazing! :D
Thank you for sharing!

Michel said...

I'm just in love with that style... very refined yet accessible

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks guys - glad you're liking it!

theartofpuro said...

Your works are amazing!Thanks for sharing!

_b_a_ said...

How do you transfer your drawing onto the pastel paper ? Also i dont know if you mentioned them.before but what paper and pastels do you use ? Thanks : )

Lynne the Pencil said...

I trace the line drawing onto pastel paper using a light box.

I use various types but I really like unison. They have a great colour range and are just the right texture - not too hard, not too soft (sennelier are extremely soft and clog the paper).

Hope that helps :-)

_b_a_ said...

Thank you so much for answering me. I would like to buy a lightbox. Do you have a suggestion for it ? I want to order it online :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Hi B,

They are quite expensive to buy, so I got someone to make one for me. It's just a box with a perspex top and strip lights inside. If you know someone handy it'll save you a fair bit!

Allen jeley said...

Your artwork fantastic and explanation of this art also good thanks for share it econometrics assignment help .