Tuesday 28 July 2015

Step-by-Step: How to Draw Hands


I have finally tackled the remaining teaching-drawings for the book. The publisher calls them step-by-steps and some of them are exactly that, like the one I did on using colour as a framework. There's also one on 3 stages of drawing eyes. 


However, quite a few of the so-called step-by-steps are not actually a series of stages, but sets of little graphic features, to help explain how to draw certain aspects. Since hands are always so tricky, I thought I would do some teaching-drawings, looking at how you can use the position of the knuckles to help judge whether you are getting things right or not.


It's a trick I always use. Though the knuckles are staggered, rather than in line, the shape you get when you join them up is echoed in the next set of knuckles, as well as the finger ends. This helps you get finger length right - another thing that is easy to misjudge.



I sketched three line-drawings, (actually, I drew 5: the other 2 were a bit rubbish). I tried to get really different poses. Then I placed a bit of tracing paper over each sketch and circled the knuckles in a coloured pencil. As soon as I joined them up and then drew in the finger-end line, I knew the drawings would work really well.


I scanned both drawings and tracings, then put them together in Photoshop. 


Job done.

The rest of the spread on How to Sketch Hands uses drawings from my archive of sketchbooks to talk through some other ways of thinking about the various problems, including creating montage sheets, drawing just hands, over and over for practice. This is useful for stopping you getting frustrated when people move. It's also good for making the individual sketches seem less 'precious', so you are less inclined to worry if they go a bit skew-whiff here and there:


It's a great way to pass the time on a train. Try using a couple of different coloured pencils, to stop things getting too confused. 

All the details of the different editions of the book are here on my website.


9 comments:

Pattie Wall said...

Amazing and simple - I love that you shared this - I always have trouble with hands - maybe with this BIG help, they will start improving. Thanks!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Nice and simple!

Meera Rao said...

Its easy when it is simplified like this--Thanks!

Candy Gourlay said...

Great tips!

Diane D said...

So very helpful. Many thanks Lynne!!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

When is this book going to be done and I can get a copy? Wonderful stuff I've gotta have.

Phil Archer said...

Nice one, Lynne. Really handy tips! (No pun intended)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks everyone - so pleased you are finding the tips useful.

I still don't have an exact publication date for the book. It was going to be October, but they say it might not make that, so I am guessing some time in November. Well before Christmas for sure. There will be a simultaneous UK and US edition, plus hopefully various co-editions to follow, so it should be easy to get hold of. Don't worry though - I won;t let anyone get away with forgetting! :-D

Jennifer Skelton said...

Very interesting post for draw hand and through this capstone projects ideas we can learn art step by step.