Thursday 12 January 2017

The Finished Article: My New Textile Piece


Good news: my navy thread arrived  last week and I was able to go back and finish off my last textile piece. It was really frustrating to get so very close and have to stop! Here it is: 


If you have been following the progress of this piece, you'll know that it is based on a church in York and that I was working on the text which surrounds the church, when my thread ran out. The text is embroidered through rough-cut pieces of organza, which help the spindly words to better 'occupy' the space. It is a section from a quote by the American poet Charles Bukowski.


I enjoy the juxtaposition of text and image. It not only offers two very different visual rhythms, but helps to get across what is going on in my mind. With my first textile piece, the text was part of the source sketch and was about the absorption of the moment. There was no text on my original drawing of the church, but I wanted the final piece to be more than just a decorative image, so this quote represents my reflections on the subject matter.


I am really pleased with the finished product, particularly given the extremely limited amount of planning involved. This piece builds on my first 'commuter' piece of course, but many of the techniques on this 2nd piece were new and totally experimental, so I am very pleasantly surprised it has worked as well as it has.


I am already well into a third piece, which is different again. I'll show you that next time.

9 comments:

Lourdes V. said...

Una auténtica maravilla!!! Felicidades

Jess said...

It's gorgeous Lynne! I love how the textures seem enhanced by the use of the stitches and fabric.
Jess xx

Toni said...

Love, love, love it.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you! I am just beginning to learn the 'language' of stitching, which is similar but also very different from drawn line. All very exciting :-)

dinahmow said...

I like the juxtaposition of Bukowski.
You're on a roll, aren't you. :-)

Anna Muñoz said...

What a patience! This must have been long to do. It's a great piece of art. I'm myself very interested in transferring my drawings, but essays have been really bad. Maybe you'd like to show us how one day. Anyway very beautiful piece! go ahead and please show us.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Cheers. Yes, so far, all is rolling remarkably well. That's why I am so glad to have a sustained period to work on it, so that I can really get some momentum going before I start to hit problems!

meweatherson said...

I've been following your progress on this Lynne with anxious anticipation of the final work. It is OUTSTANDING! Absolutely love it--and the embroidered quote was the finishing touch that made it all come together! Really looking forward to future textile works from you...

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you Michelle!